Monday, October 31, 2011

Requiem for THE Heavyweights!



So it's Halloween 2011, I missed an anniversary, I miss my wife and grandkids while visiting my parents (which I don't regret but that's an entirely different article!) and the BIG game in the SEC is this weekend in Tuscaloosa; #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama!

The euphoria has passed from the victory over Florida and although the radio talk shows in Atlanta were reveling in both the UGA and Ga. Tech wins this past Saturday no one can restrain themselves from talking about the game in Tuscaloosa over 5 days away. I don't think I know anyone at LSU but I send shout-outs to former Sequoyah Band members Lee H. and Sofie S. in the Million Dollar Band and to Jason F. (also a Sequoyah Band alumni) who attends UA. I mentioned Lee in my last post as I visited the Crimson Tide pep band in Oxford on Oct. 15. Although I'm not attending 'THE Game" this week (that is an EXPENSIVE ticket) I will watch in anticipation as the entire country debates whether or not 2 teams from the same conference should play in the BCS Championship game but it is still a bit premature; there is the remainder of the season and a 'few' other teams to consider, namely Oklahoma St. and Oklahoma.

The Captain and I will be traveling to LSU on Nov. 12 to visit Baton Rouge in what well might be their only night game this year; I just hope the hangover feeling (win or lose on Nov. 5) doesn't persist too long so we can sample the experience of a true Baton Rouge home game.

While doing background research for the Ole Miss game, I came across several comments referring to the unbridled behavior and reckless abandon of the typical LSU fan versus the refined, elegant demeanor of the Ole Miss elite. It should be interesting to compare the 2 SEC West schools and their diverse traditions at home. Anything in Louisiana is going to be different and I'm excited to see the "other side!"

No comments:

Post a Comment